[Firebird-docs] German translation of the Firebird 2 QSG has been committed to CVS
Thomas Steinmaurer
2006-11-26 17:47:19 UTC
Hello,

I've committed the following files to CVS:

firebirddocs-de.xml
firebirddocs-de\quickstartguide-2-de.xml

My previous problem when creating the PDF file has been partially solved
by copying a "fop-hyph.jar" file from

http://offo.sourceforge.net/hyphenation/

into the lib folder.

What is involved to get the German QSC2 published now?

If there are any doubts, questions, problems ... about the QSC2
translation, then please feel free to contact me either in this list or
via email.

The next document which is "work in progress" here, will be the NULL guide.

Cheers,
Thomas
Mimmo
2006-11-26 18:48:01 UTC
Hi all,
=20
The next document which is "work in progress" here, will be the NULL gu=
ide.
=20
BTW, i was involved in that translation too, but having read that Paul=20
is refactoring that document i've stopped myself waiting.
Paul is faster (than me) and i'll wait his new document: i hate starting=20
over again from the beginning... ;-)
In italian transl. i've already added some parts i don't want to remake.

Now, QSG 2.0 is at the top of my check list: winter holydays at the=20
keyboard, i'll not go skying, too hot! Sunny, 20=B0C today...

Ciao.
Mimmo.
Pavel Menshchikov
2006-11-26 18:56:31 UTC
Hello Mimmo,

M> Now, QSG 2.0 is at the top of my check list: winter holydays at the
M> keyboard, i'll not go skying, too hot! Sunny, 20°C today...
Lucky you :) I've got -20°C tonight (I like cool weather but not so
cool :))
--
Best regards,
Pavel Menshchikov
Thomas Steinmaurer
2006-11-27 06:42:17 UTC
Post by Mimmo
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
The next document which is "work in progress" here, will be the NULL guide.
BTW, i was involved in that translation too, but having read that Paul
is refactoring that document i've stopped myself waiting.
Paul is faster (than me) and i'll wait his new document: i hate starting
over again from the beginning... ;-)
In italian transl. i've already added some parts i don't want to remake.
You mean the NULL guide right? ;-)
Post by Mimmo
Now, QSG 2.0 is at the top of my check list: winter holydays at the
keyboard, i'll not go skying, too hot! Sunny, 20°C today...
Well, in Austria, there isn't winter neither. Mulled wine and that stuff
don't taste very well, when temperature is > 5°. Gonna see if we have
white Christmas this year. ;-)

Thomas
Paul Vinkenoog
2006-11-27 07:19:03 UTC
Hi Thomas,
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
My previous problem when creating the PDF file has been partially
solved by copying a "fop-hyph.jar" file from
http://offo.sourceforge.net/hyphenation/
into the lib folder.
In what way "partially"? I know that some hyphenations aren't included
in FOP anymore due to copyright issues - I had to recompile parts of
FOP itself for the French hyphenation some years ago. What happened
after you placed the jar?
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
What is involved to get the German QSC2 published now?
If all is ready, build HTML and PDF and upload them to the webserver.
(A good file name for the PDF would be Firebird-2-Schnellanleitung.pdf)

I can assist with this, but since you intend to do more translations
it would probably be a good idea to give you the details of a generic
docwriter's login (if Helen has no objections), so you can upload and
maintain stuff to the "German corner" yourself.
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
The next document which is "work in progress" here, will be the NULL guide.
OK, but please wait for 1-2 weeks. There are a lot of changes re. NULL
in Fb2 and I'm still busy updating the guide. There are also parts
that have moved, disappeared, or been rewritten. If you get bored in
the meantime you can do the nbackup guide ;-)
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
I had to figure out that the terms in the alphabetical index needs
to be translated as well. I did that by searching for the indexterm
tag in Ultraedit and replaced the English expressions with German
ones. Don't know if there is a better way to do that.
Neither do I, because I don't know Ultraedit :-)

<indexterm> is an element like any other, so in a text editor you
simply translate the text between the tags. In XMLMind you can also
translate them directly.

How did you do the bulk of the translation? Not without seeing the
tags, I hope?

One thing about the translation:

- In the <authorgroup>, the second <corpauthor> has disappeared,
probably because you copy-pasted it from the French translation.
If you could add it again:
<corpauthor>Mitglieder des Firebird-Projekts</corpauthor>

Greetings,
Paul Vinkenoog
Thomas Steinmaurer
2006-11-27 08:40:57 UTC
Hello Paul,
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
My previous problem when creating the PDF file has been partially
solved by copying a "fop-hyph.jar" file from
http://offo.sourceforge.net/hyphenation/
into the lib folder.
In what way "partially"? I know that some hyphenations aren't included
in FOP anymore due to copyright issues - I had to recompile parts of
FOP itself for the French hyphenation some years ago. What happened
after you placed the jar?
The bunch of error messages like that

[fop] [ERROR] Couldn't find precompiled fop hyphenation pattern
de.hyp
[fop] [ERROR] Couldn't find hyphenation pattern de
[fop] [ERROR] Error building hyphenation tree for language de

went away, when placing the above mentioned .jar file into the lib folder.

Partially means that the PDF build isn't an entirely clean one so far.
HTML gets build without any suspicious messages. When building PDF I get
the following categories of errors.

1)
[fop] [ERROR] Could not load user configuration
file:/C:/misc/dev/firebird/HEAD/manual/config/de/fop-userconfig.xml -
error: no more input
[fop] [ERROR] using default values

2)

[fop] [WARNING] table-layout=auto is not supported, using fixed!
[fop] [ERROR] At least one of minimum, optimum, or maximum IPD
must be specified on table.

3)

[fop] [ERROR] Unknown enumerated value for property 'span': inherit
[fop] [ERROR] Error in span property value 'inherit':
org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException: No conversion defined

ad 1): Not sure about that. Simply copying the above mentioned file into
the expected /de subdirectory would help, but I'm not sure, if the file
should be edited in any way. Is this something related to using
non-western fonts?

ad 2): I get these messages when building the English pdf as well, so I
guess I can ignore them.

ad 3): Not sure about that as well-
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
What is involved to get the German QSC2 published now?
If all is ready, build HTML and PDF and upload them to the webserver.
(A good file name for the PDF would be Firebird-2-Schnellanleitung.pdf)
I can assist with this, but since you intend to do more translations
it would probably be a good idea to give you the details of a generic
docwriter's login (if Helen has no objections), so you can upload and
maintain stuff to the "German corner" yourself.
I've never uploaded anything to the webserver so far, so yes, I need
some instructions for that. ;-)
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
The next document which is "work in progress" here, will be the NULL guide.
OK, but please wait for 1-2 weeks. There are a lot of changes re. NULL
in Fb2 and I'm still busy updating the guide. There are also parts
that have moved, disappeared, or been rewritten.
Understood. I put that on hold then.

If you get bored in
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
the meantime you can do the nbackup guide ;-)
;-)
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
I had to figure out that the terms in the alphabetical index needs
to be translated as well. I did that by searching for the indexterm
tag in Ultraedit and replaced the English expressions with German
ones. Don't know if there is a better way to do that.
Neither do I, because I don't know Ultraedit :-)
<indexterm> is an element like any other, so in a text editor you
simply translate the text between the tags.
This is what I did.

In XMLMind you can also
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
translate them directly.
How did you do the bulk of the translation? Not without seeing the
tags, I hope?
Yup. Using XMLMind. It's like a regular word processing thingy.
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
- In the <authorgroup>, the second <corpauthor> has disappeared,
probably because you copy-pasted it from the French translation.
Right.
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
<corpauthor>Mitglieder des Firebird-Projekts</corpauthor>
Done.

Regards,
Thomas
Thomas Steinmaurer
2006-11-27 08:48:37 UTC
Hi again,
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
[...]
I see 3) when building the pdf for the English version as well, so I
think I can ignore that as well. ;-)

So, only 1) is outstanding then.

Regards,
Thomas
Paul Vinkenoog
2006-11-27 23:10:43 UTC
Hi Thomas,
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
The bunch of error messages like that
[fop] [ERROR] Couldn't find precompiled fop hyphenation pattern de.hyp
[fop] [ERROR] Couldn't find hyphenation pattern de
[fop] [ERROR] Error building hyphenation tree for language de
went away, when placing the above mentioned .jar file into the lib folder.
Okay, that means FOP was able to load the German hyphenation patterns.
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
[fop] [ERROR] Could not load user configuration
file:/C:/misc/dev/firebird/HEAD/manual/config/de/fop-userconfig.xml -
error: no more input
[fop] [ERROR] using default values
That one's fine too; we only need those config files for non-Western
character sets.

The others can also be ignored, as you already noticed. They have to do
with unsupported attributes in FOP.
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
I've never uploaded anything to the webserver so far, so yes, I need
some instructions for that. ;-)
I'll give you those once Helen OK's your getting write access to the
website (I've already mailed her about it). If she doesn't, or if it
takes too long, I will do it myself this time so you can lean back and
enjoy your evening...
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
How did you do the bulk of the translation? Not without seeing the
tags, I hope?
Yup. Using XMLMind. It's like a regular word processing thingy.
The way indexterms look in XMLMind it's not immediately obvious that
they're editable, but they are.
(Übrigens: "Passwörter, changing" - was soll das heißen? ;-))

BTW, I noticed an empty paragraph between the two comments in
Standardlaufwerkspfade. Better remove that. It's my fault: I
accidentally left it in the original.

Greetings,
Paul Vinkenoog
Thomas Steinmaurer
2006-11-28 05:59:11 UTC
Hi Paul,
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
[fop] [ERROR] Could not load user configuration
file:/C:/misc/dev/firebird/HEAD/manual/config/de/fop-userconfig.xml -
error: no more input
[fop] [ERROR] using default values
That one's fine too; we only need those config files for non-Western
character sets.
The others can also be ignored, as you already noticed. They have to do
with unsupported attributes in FOP.
Ok.
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
I've never uploaded anything to the webserver so far, so yes, I need
some instructions for that. ;-)
I'll give you those once Helen OK's your getting write access to the
website (I've already mailed her about it). If she doesn't, or if it
takes too long, I will do it myself this time so you can lean back and
enjoy your evening...
Fine with me. ;-)

Btw, I've fixed some typos in the original translation, so I'm gonna
commit a new version in an hour or so. I'm gonna make it 3.3.1-de if
this is ok for you.
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
How did you do the bulk of the translation? Not without seeing the
tags, I hope?
Yup. Using XMLMind. It's like a regular word processing thingy.
The way indexterms look in XMLMind it's not immediately obvious that
they're editable, but they are.
(Übrigens: "Passwörter, changing" - was soll das heißen? ;-))
Yup. Missed a few. Fixed already. Commit is pending. See above.
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
BTW, I noticed an empty paragraph between the two comments in
Standardlaufwerkspfade. Better remove that. It's my fault: I
accidentally left it in the original.
Will have a look!

Regards,
Thomas
Paul Vinkenoog
2006-11-28 12:07:36 UTC
Hi Thomas,
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
I'll give you those once Helen OK's your getting write access to
the website (I've already mailed her about it). If she doesn't, or
if it takes too long, I will do it myself this time so you can lean
back and enjoy your evening...
Fine with me. ;-)
OK, forget your quiet evening because I'll send you the account name
+ password in a minute :-)

You have to make an SFTP connection to web.firebirdsql.org. The home
directory of the account in question is /srv/www/htdocs/devel/doc/

German HTML files go into the subdirectory manual/html/de; Just build
the entire set with "build html -Dsfx=de" and upload everything
including the image subdirectory.

The PDFs (all built individually using -Drootid) should be uploaded to
manual/pdf/de

These two folders map to the URLs www.firebirdsql.org/manual/de/ and
www.firebirdsql.org/pdfmanual/de/, respectively.

PDFs alwas get a filename with 'Firebird' in it (if possible as the
first element). In this case, I suppose
Firebird-2.0-Schnellanleitung.pdf would be best

(earlier I said -2- but I had forgotten that we would also include the
minor version number)
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Btw, I've fixed some typos in the original translation, so I'm gonna
commit a new version in an hour or so. I'm gonna make it 3.3.1-de if
this is ok for you.
No, you should keep it at 3.3-de, because the previous version has
never been published. Also, the first part of the version number
should be the number of the original version that the translation is
based on.

So supposing that the German manuals are published and you correct the
translation later, you'd have to give it a version number of 3.3-de-2
or so. OTOH, if I correct/update the original and it becomes 3.3.1 or
3.4, and you implement the same changes in the translation, the
version number becomes 3.3.1-de or 3.4-de

Greetings,
Paul Vinkenoog
Thomas Steinmaurer
2006-11-28 13:04:25 UTC
Hi Paul,
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
[...]
Uploaded the whole stuff.

Now, who is in charge for adding the appropriate links to the German
docs here:

http://www.firebirdsql.org/manual/

and

http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devel&sub=doc
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Btw, I've fixed some typos in the original translation, so I'm gonna
commit a new version in an hour or so. I'm gonna make it 3.3.1-de if
this is ok for you.
No, you should keep it at 3.3-de, because the previous version has
never been published. Also, the first part of the version number
should be the number of the original version that the translation is
based on.
So supposing that the German manuals are published and you correct the
translation later, you'd have to give it a version number of 3.3-de-2
or so. OTOH, if I correct/update the original and it becomes 3.3.1 or
3.4, and you implement the same changes in the translation, the
version number becomes 3.3.1-de or 3.4-de
Alright.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Thomas
Paul Vinkenoog
2006-11-28 15:32:38 UTC
Hi Thomas,
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Uploaded the whole stuff.
It looks good, except that the links to the other language sets on the
HTML homepage are broken. That's because you copied them from the
English document. Other languages are in subdirectories, so the links
should get a "../" prefix in firebirddocs-de.xml. After that, rebuild
HTML and re-upload index.html (no need to uplaod the rest, unless
there have been changes).
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Now, who is in charge for adding the appropriate links to the German
http://www.firebirdsql.org/manual/
That's a matter of adding the link in firebirddocs.xml (and rebuild +
upload the English index.html), which every docwriter can do. I've
done it now.
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devel&sub=doc
So far I've been doing this (including this time), but others can do
it too. The page you want is /srv/www/htdocs/devel/doc/main.php, right
in the docwriter account's home dir.

You only have to edit some HTML parts: add a note under "Latest" and
if necessary add links in the document matrix below. Just look in the
HTML source to see how it's done and there should be no problem.

After uploading, carefully test any updated or added links. When
ready, please also commit the new main.php to cvs (module "web",
location website/devel/doc) -- or if you don't want to check out the
entire web module for a stupid little update, mail it to me so I can
commit it.

BTW, we usually don't report simple updates on that page. Only new
docs, new translations, important updates, other news, etc.

Greetings,
Paul Vinkenoog
Thomas Steinmaurer
2006-11-28 16:33:51 UTC
Hi Paul,
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Uploaded the whole stuff.
It looks good, except that the links to the other language sets on the
HTML homepage are broken. That's because you copied them from the
English document. Other languages are in subdirectories, so the links
should get a "../" prefix in firebirddocs-de.xml. After that, rebuild
HTML and re-upload index.html (no need to uplaod the rest, unless
there have been changes).
I noticed the broken links straight after uploading the docs the first
time. Already fixed and uploaded.
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
Now, who is in charge for adding the appropriate links to the German
http://www.firebirdsql.org/manual/
That's a matter of adding the link in firebirddocs.xml (and rebuild +
upload the English index.html), which every docwriter can do. I've
done it now.
Thought so, but I didn't want to stumble over anybody's feet the first
time. ;-)
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
Post by Thomas Steinmaurer
http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devel&sub=doc
So far I've been doing this (including this time), but others can do
it too. The page you want is /srv/www/htdocs/devel/doc/main.php, right
in the docwriter account's home dir.
You only have to edit some HTML parts: add a note under "Latest" and
if necessary add links in the document matrix below. Just look in the
HTML source to see how it's done and there should be no problem.
After uploading, carefully test any updated or added links. When
ready, please also commit the new main.php to cvs (module "web",
location website/devel/doc) -- or if you don't want to check out the
entire web module for a stupid little update, mail it to me so I can
commit it.
BTW, we usually don't report simple updates on that page. Only new
docs, new translations, important updates, other news, etc.
I think I have to summarize your hints in a small document and place it
in my safe for further usage. ;-)

Thanks again for your invaluable help!

Cheers,
Thomas
Thomas Steinmaurer
2006-11-28 23:18:07 UTC
Hello Paul,

[snip]
Post by Paul Vinkenoog
OK, but please wait for 1-2 weeks. There are a lot of changes re. NULL
in Fb2 and I'm still busy updating the guide. There are also parts
that have moved, disappeared, or been rewritten. If you get bored in
the meantime you can do the nbackup guide ;-)
Well, not really bored, but I might find some time starting another
translation. ;-)

I see the nbackup guide is based on Firebird 2 Beta (Alpha?). Is it the
right time to "safely" translate this guide?

Thanks,
Thomas